Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My New Hostage

Last night I found out how I can use Emanuel's obsession with Lightning McQueen to my advantage.

Having 3 kids share a room is very tough at bedtime. They all want to keep playing with each other. No matter how much they bicker and dislike each other during the day, when bedtime comes around they are the best of friends. The shrieks of laughter and the camaraderie would be enduring if it wasn't bedtime. By bedtime, I am ready for some time off. I NEED that time. Therefore, I do not find their sudden best-friendship amusing.

I have tried everything... laying the baby down first, laying the baby down last, keeping Ben up longer. Putting them down separately doesn't work. Unless its been a huge day and they are exhausted, they wait for each other. I can't win! Time outs haven't been working either. While in the time out they are sooo tired and sorry and "we'll go to sleep right away, Mama." As soon as I let them go, it starts up again.

Finally, last night I had a revelation. Emanuel is really the one who causes the most problems. The baby would go to right sleep if the boys would let her, and Ben is usually content to look at a book quietly. But Emanuel is the one who comes up with the irresistible imaginative scenarios that none of them can resist joining. He's also the ones whose toys make the most and loudest sound effects. He is only 3- silence is still a concept being grasped. So I took just Emanuel out of his room to stand in timeout. It really wasn't working- he was trying to turn it into conversation time- when I spotted Lightning McQueen in his hand. McQueen goes everywhere with him. Everywhere. That little die cast car has traveled, let me tell you! It's even been to several different states.

"Emanuel," I said, "bring me McQueen, please."

He makes his way over to me and reluctantly holds out his hand. I take the car, and the tears are instant.

"Oh Mama, I'll be good. I'll go right to sleep. Please, I'll be so sad without McQueen!" His entreaties are slightly pathetic, but I stand strong.

"You will get McQueen back in the morning, if you go straight to sleep and stay in your bed until morning."

He manages to stifle his sobs somewhat and nods his head before heading into bed. A couple of minutes later I checked on him. He was sound asleep!

I hope this tactic continues to work!

1 comment: